Ours is a family that loves cooking and sharing food. There is also a tradition of writing cook books. This site aim to foster these traditions in a whanau that has spread across the seas.
Other aspirations of Our Whanau Kitchen are:
- To share and foster a love and passion for food as an expression of love.
- To pass on the lore, recipes and techniques.
- To express the purity, freshness, simplicity and ethics we wish to associate to the communities that we live in.
- To reflect the changes of the seasons in the meals we make.
- To base our cooking on ingredients and produce whose characteristics are particularly in our climates, lanscapes and waters.
- To combine the demand for good taste with modern knowledge of health and well-being.
- To promote regional products and the variety of regional producers – and to spread the word about their underlying cultures.
- To promote animal welfare and a sound production process in our farmland and in the wild.
- To play with out food and develop potentially new combinations of technique and regional food products.
- To combine the best in New Zealand and Australian cookery and culinary traditions with impulses from abroad.
- To combine local self-suffiency with regional sharing of high-quality produce.