From a cookbook hand written by Rom’s mother, Dorothy Bennett. Over the years other recipes were added. Deirdre McPharlan worked with Rom at the national library and was a dear friend. It could be her hand.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- 6 cups White Flour
- 2 cups Wholemeal Flour
- 1 cup rolled oats Or use cracked wheat or wheat germ or bran or sunflower seeds or sesame seeds or a mixture.
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pour the milk into a bowl and add the brown sugar and 2 cups boiling water
- When warm sprinkle over the yeast
- Cover and place somewhere warm for 10 - 15 minutes. Deirdre suggests putting it in a sink half full with warm water.
- Mix together the flour rolled oats or substitute and the salt.
- Mix the milk mixture into flour, place in 2 loaf tins, well greased,
- Put into the oven THEN turn the oven on to 120c. Leave for for 20 - 30 minutes until well risen.
- Increase the heat to 190c and bake 40 - 60 minutes or until hollow when knocked.
- Allow to cool slightly and then turn out onto cooling racks
Dierdre's No Knead Bread
Amount Per Serving
Energy 16940kJ Energy from Fat 754kJ
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20g 31%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Sodium 32mg 1%
Potassium 1815mg 52%
Total Carbohydrates 838g 279%
Dietary Fiber 63g 252%
Protein 127g 254%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.