Of all Rom’s recipes, this is the one that I was most “deflated” to learn was from the Manawatu Evening Standard. I imagined, not unreasonably, that “Gran’s Ginger Bread” would be just that. Handed down across the generations from time immemorial. But no, my illusions were shattered when, at the tender age of 45, I first laid eyes on the recipe.
- 3 cups Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- .75 cup Golden Syrup
- .5 lb Butter
- 2 tsp Ginger Ground
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 c.
- Sift flour into a large bowl.
- Melt sugar, butter, golden syrup and spice in a saucepan.
- Warm until all thoroughly melted, then stir in milk in which bicarbonate of soda has been dissolved. Stir.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually add contents of the saucepan, beating well until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Bake in a meat tin lined with baking paper, in a moderate oven (180 c) for one hour.
Try serving this warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.